Sunday, December 21, 2008

Ice on the Willamette

I was not planing on posting for the next few weeks, but we're in the midst of quite a memorable storm. I've lived in or had family in Portland my whole life and this is probably the most snow I've ever seen on the valley floor. I just got back from a cross-country ski expedition and we saw the most remarkable thing-- ice forming on the Willamette River. Check it out.



Ice forming inside one of the small marinas.



The Sellwood Bridge; this is about 750 meters upstream of our boathouse and dock. The silvery color on the bridge railing is frozen rain icing over.



The dock at Staff Jennings; Staff is a boating store that does all of our engine maintenance and repair. Their boat ramp has ice forming and the white flecks in the river are ice flows breaking off of this.



Looking downstream from the Sellwood Bridge. Our dock is in the middle of the picture on the right bank.

NOT a good day to row.